Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Jacques Tati

Can someone please explain to me the fascination with film director Jacques Tati? His marginally funny films (at best) are always revered by any of today's top critics as being the funniest thing ever with comparisons to Buster Keaton among others. I think he's more of a hack in the Ed Wood level who doesn't even understand comedy. Does that make me unable to be a movie critic? Possibly. I always have problems with any movie that requires repeat viewings before it gets good. Anything can get good with repeat viewings, because it becomes familiar to the viewer, that doesn't mean it is good.

So tell me what I'm missing. And yes, I have viewed "Mr. Hulot's Holiday", "My Uncle", "Playtime" and "Traffic" in their entirety with "Playtime" getting the nod as the best of the lot, but that's not saying much.

--
Regards,

Mark Arnold
http://funideas.home.att.net

No comments: