Friday, December 30, 2005

King Kong

I saw the new "King Kong" a few days ago, but haven't actually set down yet to write anything about it. Unlike most of my reviews of current popular movies, I am happy to say that I don't have to report my usual tirade about too many computer effects and bad storytelling and movie overlength. While not perfect, "King Kong" moves at a fairly brisk pace considering its 3 hour length and while there are computer effects, they are kept at a minimum and usually curtailed to the ape himself, which is necessary. Even the original "King Kong" was an effect, so I have no qualms about effects, I just hate it when computer effects substitute for real locations and real situations and make you think "computer effect" while watching. A good special effect should be seemless and NOT noticable. A good example of a movie using bad computer effects is "Hulk".

Anyway, back to "Kong". Well worth the price of admission. The story and all its components are far more interesting than the bland "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. This is not Peter Jackson's fault, just Tolkien's. Jack Black is his usual self which is a good thing, unless you don't like him, as are Naomi Watts and Adrien Brody. So definitely see, and in the theater.

--
Regards,

Mark Arnold
http://funideas.home.att.net

No comments: