Thursday, March 25, 2010

"Shutter Island"...ok

So I finally saw "Shutter Island" last night. I thought it was "ok". I am a huge Martin Scorcese fan, but in saying that, he's kind of like Tim Burton for me. He has a few really good films, a few ok ones, and a lot of stinkers, but I go to see them because I have a 50/50 chance of being really entertained.

"Shutter Island" is a good-looking film and is paced really well. It is very much like a 40s film, however, if you are looking for good suspense with a lot of plot twists, you won't find them here. Without giving away anything, I will say that if you don't mind that you can predict the outcome of the film within the first 15-30 minutes and that doesn't bother you, you will have a good time.

I did just that and did have a good time, but was disappointed that there wasn't a final unpredictable plot twist that just helped push this one over to greatness.

That being said, it is a sharp looking film and is worth watching on those merits alone. Scorcese is still one of our best living film directors and is still worth watching.

No comments: