Monday, May 31, 2010

The Turtles are Great


I am a big-time Turtles fan. Maybe not as much as The Beatles, but it's up there. In fact, I find it hard to believe that there aren't more Turtles fans, but I don't care. If everyone chooses to believe that the only thing the Turtles did was "Happy Together", so be it.

I have all the Turtles albums, all the Flo & Eddie albums and even the Howard Kaylan album that came out a few years ago called "Dust Bunnies" (told you I liked them). All are excellent and are worth getting.

Some tracks on some of the albums are kinda silly, but that's why the Turtles are fun. My favorite album by the Turtles is "The Turtles Present The Battle of the Bands" from 1968 which was a flop as an album, despite have two major hits "Elenore" and "You Showed Me", the latter being a big hit again due to "Austin Powers".

A few years ago, Flo & Eddie (Mark Volman and Howard Kaylan) issued a VHS and later a DVD about the history of the Turtles. When I had it on tape, I wore it out!! Haven't worn out the DVD, but certainly watch it quite often. Now, I'm upset because on YouTube I've found live performances of the Turtles that aren't included on the video of songs they didn't perform live anywhere else.

I hope Mark and Howard issue another video with as many live Turtles performances possible, even if it has 37 different performances of "Happy Together"!

No comments: