Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Movies Not On DVD


I don't understand movie studios. They sit on a vault worth millions in old movie assets, yet they do not rush to issue things onto DVD.

I know timing is everything as well as oversaturation, but if I owned one of the big 6 studios (Warner Bros., Disney, Paramount, Universal, 20th Century Fox, Columbia), believe me, I would be scouring that backlog to see if there is anything worth issuing, even if it was a bad film.

Warner Bros. is doing it right and I've said it many times before by doing the Warner Archive series. Here, they can release film on a "print-on-demand" basis and many of them feature big stars of days gone by. I wish other studios would follow this lead.

Disney was issuing Disney Exclusives until very recently with their Disney Movie Club, but they still have films out there that have never seen the light of day on home video.

And this shouldn't be limited to movies, shorts, TV shows and cartoons should all be issued. If something doesn't warrant being issued on its own, put it in a box set or something. Just get this stuff out...

2 comments:

Joe Torcivia said...

I couldn’t agree more, Mark!

If something doesn’t warrant a mass-market release, make it available (at a premium, if necessary, and without any frills if they are cost prohibitive), manufactured on demand for those who want it.

Fun Ideas said...

That's right.

I keep plugging the Warner Archives because I don't want them to pull the plug on it.

-Mark.