Saturday, December 11, 2010

Keep 'em Coming


I'm sorry movie studios, I like old films. I'm talking about OLD films, not ones made in the 90s. I mean stuff from the 30s, 40s and 50s. Can't the movie studios just release EVERYTHING in their vaults? What is so hard about that? I don't need all the fancy packaging or extras. I just want access to every film ever released by a major studio in a reasonably nice looking and uncut version. It doesn't mean that I will buy it, but it would be nice TO BE ABLE to buy crazy films like "Once Upon a Horse" or "The Horn Blows at Midnight" or "Where Do We Go From Here?" without SEARCHING for it or buying a bootleg or an old tape.

And for more popular things, quit piece-mealing out the old "Looney Tunes" and release all 1000 of the furshlugginer things! Geez, I'll be 90 before they'll all be released to video.

At this point, I don't even need them on DVD. I'll take digital downloads. And make these things affordable. While I like attempts like Warner Archives, Universal Vault and others, they always seem to charge $20 for a bare bones version. They should be $10 or less as there are no middlemen of getting things distributed to a store anymore, and like I said, fancy packaging is not necessary. Just a plain white sleeve is fine.

I just discovered that Universal HAS issued a six-movie set of old Bing Crosby films for about $40 retail. This means each film is about $6 each AND it's in the stores with nice packaging, so I KNOW that they can release this stuff cheaper and in bulk. I'm so glad because I can finally get a legitimate copy of "Mississippi" starring Crosby and W.C. Fields!!

So, movie studios, wake up and release yer shit!!!

No comments: