Sunday, May 08, 2011

More on Richie Rich and Change


More from Richie Rich's Vault by me:

Change is NOT always good. For those who wish this series a short life, don't buy it. It will go away. And if it doesn't, you still don't have to buy it. These comics aren't for anyone age 30+. Buy more issues from the past that you're missing, or more original art if you have them all, or re-read your comics and relive fond memories of days gone by of an era that cannot and will not be created again. Recreating Harvey Comics exactly the way they were done in the past is tantamount to getting all four Beatles together for a reunion. It can't be done. There was a time that it could, but now I'm convinced that that time has past. It's a shame, but I feel it's true.

And for those who prefer the Silver Age above all others, then fortunately the comics still exist in original or reprint form for you to enjoy.

I STILL prefer the Richie Rich of the late 60s and 70s even over this new version, but know that it is no longer possible to completely reproduce that era of the past, partially because of reality (many of the creators are dead or elderly) and partially because of the times (we just don't and can't make comics like that anymore).

Hindsight also plays a lot into things. We probably didn't appreciate the Silver Age as it was happening (although it was over by the time I was a child) or Harvey as it was publishing, but we do now, since it's over, and in a finite group of years.

However, if you are going to try something new using old characters, the writing and the artwork must be good. I feel that the redux of Richie Rich works because it's tailor-fit for today's audiences who prefer style over substance, gloss over quaintness. If you don't agree, then like I said, don't read it. It will go away. Compare the two stories in the new "Richie Rich" #1.

And I know that there are people (though probably not in this group), who think today's comics are better and grittier than the stodgy stuff that was produced back then during the Silver Age, and like and prefer the anime/manga look of today's comics. They probably also prefer the glossy pages of today's comics and not the old off-register comics printed on yellowing newsprint.

I STILL like the look and the feel of these new Casper and Richie Rich books, much more so than the Casper of the "Scare School" and the Richie Rich of the Hanna-Barbera "Richie Rich". Is it my favorite version of Richie Rich? No. But I was surprised and did like this "Richie Rich" and "Casper and the Spectrals" better than expected.

And for those of you who might think I blindly like anything Harvey, I do, to a point, partially because I have to. I will say some Harvey things I absolutely detest, in no particular order, though I may have had some kind things to say about them from time to time, due to desperately wanting anything new and good by Harvey, and I may, in time, revise my opinions about these new books, should something better come along later. Yeah, yeah. I'm wishy-washy...

1. Casper and the Angels
2. Casper's Scare School (DVD movie and series)
3. Hanna-Barbera's Richie Rich
4. Baby Huey's Easter Adventure
5. Jack Sparling's and Tony Tallarico's work on the Harvey Thrillers in lieu of using Jim Steranko (!)
6. Jeff Montgomery's Harvey Comics
7. Macaulay Culkin as Richie Rich (though I still like the movie)
8. Harvey, the Magazine for Children
9. Joe Dennett's artwork
10. Starting "Casper" and "Little Audrey" over at #1 back in the 50s.
11. Sid Jacobson's claims that he created everything
12. The unfair treatment to Harvey in archival editions in comparison to Archie (Harvey's truest peer comic publisher)
13. The "It's a g-g-g-g-ghost" version of Casper
14. "Richie Rich and New Kids on the Block"
15. "Wendy and New Kids on the Block"
16. Billy Bellhops
17. Changing the music and the dialogue on the old Harveytoons
18. Hot Stuff fashions and underwear
19. Little Lottie
20. The "Bunny" movie (yeah, I know it was never made, but it probably would have been bad)

1 comment:

Chris Barat said...

Mark,

What you say about the Silver Age could easily be applied to ALL eras of pop culture. You don't fully appreciate the good stuff from an era until it is gone.

Chris